Todo-Mods

[ALBUM] Joey Negro & The Sunburst Band - The Secret Life of Us (2012)

OSH Recommended Tracks, EPs, Albums... From Then & Now
Administrador
NotaPublicado: 05 Jul 2012, 20:47
Imagen

Artist: Joey Negro & The Sunburst Band
Title: The Secret Life of Us
Label: Z Records
Ref.: ZeddCD026
Date of Release: Jul 16, 2012

Tracklist:

01 In the Thick of It
02 Why Wait for Tomorrow
03 My Way
04 Jazz the DMX
05 Easy Come, Easy Go
06 Where the Lights Meet the Music
07 The Secret Life of Us
08 Caught in the Moment
09 Opus De Soul
10 Trust Me
11 Educated Funk
12 Take It to the Top
13 Taste the Groove
14 Definition of Luv
15 Love One Another

As the sun-drenched months descend upon us, Joey Negro & The Sunburst Bandunleash their highly anticipated 4th studio album titled ‘The Secret Life Of Us’ on Z Records. Packed with Sunburst signature sounds - a lush cross pollinating hot soul, jazz, funk, electro-boogie and disco dazzlers, ‘The Secret Life Of Us’ is their most exciting adventure into modern soulful music yet! Who could resist the catchy Chic style disco of the title track with its story of an illicit affair or the witty, “this woman wears the trousers”, 2 step boogie 'My Way'.

Things get jazzier on the moody electro 'Jazz The DMX' with Blue Note piano and dubby weirdness, while the rolling down tempo pimp groove of 'Opus de Soul' has beautiful lush live strings that even Barry White might be proud of. Even echoes of the Doobie Brothers resonate through 'Caught In The Moment'. The album also features their glimmering disco-tinged outing, 'In The Thick Of It’, which hit the Traxsource No.1 spot in just 4 days of release! What is common throughout ‘The Secret Life Of Us’ is the attention to detail and labour of love that's gone into crafting this wonderful collection of fantastic songs, all performed by a truly heavyweight collective of talent!

"Making a Sunburst Band album can be bit of a slog, be it a mainly pleasant slog. All those days and nights spent sweating heavily over the mixing desk take their toll on even the best-made pair of disco underpants ;-). As cheesy as it may sound I'm doing this because I love it and I want to put the musicality and craftsmanship from the music I grew up with into The Sunburst Band" - Joey Negro

‘The Secret Life Of Us’ features band members who regularly play live around the world headed by singers Pete Simpson and Donna Gardier. The nucleus of Tony Remy(guitar), Julian Crampton (bass) and Frank Tontoh (drums) are also joined by a selection of vocal stars from the soulful scene including Angela Johnson, Noelle Scaggs, Darienand Vivienne McKone. Combine this standard of musicianship with strong songs and Dave's sharp arrangements and you've got a potent brew both in the studio and on the live stage. Joey co-wrote most of the songs with Diane Charlemagne, who many will know from Goldie's ‘Inner City Life’. “Diane is super talented and writes with wit and intelligence”, says Joey. Diane also performs vocals on ‘My Way’, 'Definition of Love'and the album title track with Donna Gardier.

“Normally I start writing a song with keys and vocals, until I'm totally happy with the melodic structure and lyrics. Once I'm sure it's up to scratch I get the band in and always make sure I record a performance - that's crucial. I want the playing to intensify and go somewhere but without loosing the groove" - Joey Negro.
Imagen Imagen

Volver a Our Soulful House Recommends